Sunday, August 21, 2011

Day 26 Night - The Great Spirit Morning Prayer of the Lakota Sioux Medicine Men

Below is the Native American prayer I recite in the morning, at night, and when I am walking alone in my neighborhood. Since I do not have a parking space and the neighborhood is popular, I often have to park 2 or 3 blocks from my apartment. At first, it would piss me off, but now I find those walks to be peaceful and meditative. If I have packages, I temporarily park in a driveway, carry them up the stairs, then move the car.

More importantly, for me this prayer that the Sioux medicine men said when they rose in the morning to greet each new day covers the proverbial bases and sings a song that seems to come from within. It is as if the words reflect my own soul and discovering for the first time was like finding a piece of my spiritual home. I value the truth behind the realization that I am my own worst enemy and the beauty of leaving this life with humility and love and without shame. Please never forget that although I stumble here and there and my voice falters  though I fall and scratch a knee, I rise again with a smile and return to the path that has been laid out before me. Here is the prayer...


Morning Prayer of the Lakota Sioux Medicine Men

O Great Spirit
whose voice I hear in the wind,
and whose breath gives life to all the world,
hear me.

I am small and weak.
I need your strength and wisdom.
Let me walk in beauty,
and let my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset.

Make my hands respect the things you have made,
and my ears grow sharp to hear your voice.
Give me wisdom so I may understand the things
you have taught my people.
Let me the learn the lessons
you have hidden in every leaf and rock.
I seek strength not to be greater than my brother or sister,
but to fight my greatest enemy, myself.

Make me always ready to come to you
with clean hands and open eyes
so when life fades as the fading sunset,
my spirit may come to you without shame.

Beautiful Sculpture of Native American in Reverence at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston 
By Cyrus Dallin, Appeal to the Great Spirit is a bronze equestrian sculpture outside the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. A native of Utah where my entire nuclear family now lives, Dallin had a lot of interaction with Native American children while growing up, and this experience informed his art with insight and care. I love what a simple and direct representation is conveyed in this moving piece of art. Look at how unidealized and normative is the horse and how truly reverent is the warrior in what appears to be a truly authentic moment of prayer and reverence.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this prayer. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John-we haven't met yet but I want to thank you for your willingness to guide my son, Kevin C. He gave me your blog address. I read through all your entries and wish you the best as you walk through the grueling treatment you face. I know several people whose "wreckage of the past" includes paying the price of hep c but they are now healthy. I'll say a prayer that your outcome be the same. In Al-Anon, we talk of the Three A's: awareness, acceptance, and action. I'd say this blog is a great action step to be taking! I also want you to know that one of the pics you've posted was my inspiration when I was asked to lead my home meeting tonight (at the last minute!) It's the picture of the graffiti "Speak the truth even if your voice shakes." Wow, did that topic grab everyone! Thank you and again, I am grateful you're in Kevin's life. Mary L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, working with Kevin is a pleasure, and I am grateful to have him in my life. The best moments of the day are when the people I can help call me and actually listen to my feedback and suggestions. It's basically the only time this self-centered alcoholic is not thinking about himself and the melodramatic woes of his life. Kevin is doing so well and working hard; seeing him make progress is such a boon to me. And thank you so much for your positive feedback and support; I truly hope I can turn this blog into resource for everyone who faces treatment for this virus. All my best... John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing! Very moving & inspiring!

    ReplyDelete