Thursday, July 28, 2011

Day 4 Morning — Reiki Offer

As I mentioned yesterday, it is amazing how many people are reaching out to me when they hear about the Hepatitis C diagnosis and offering their support. Last night, while shooting pool at the Bourgeois Pig, a friend who I just recently met in the past few months revealed that he is a practitioner of Reiki. The Reiki.org website describes it as follows: "Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. It is administered by "laying on hands" and is based on the idea that an unseen "life force energy" flows through us and is what causes us to be alive. If one's "life force energy" is low, then we are more likely to get sick or feel stress, and if it is high, we are more capable of being happy and healthy." Although Eben is a professional and gets paid for his services, he offered free sessions once I begin my treatments to promote a positive path of healing. 


Yes, I have shot a few games of pool with Eben and we are both huge fans of ultimate fighting and mixed martial arts (Fedor Vs. Henderson is this weekend's legendary Strikeforce match-up), but there is no deeper connection or bevy of mutual friends. The fact that he made such a lovely offer of support and friendship shows once again the quality of human beings. There truly is decency in this world, and people understand the value of being of service. I hope I can understand the value of being of service to myself as I experience the crucible to come. Then again, I tend to be a bit of a drama queen (a heterosexual drama queen, mind you) and maybe it won't be so bad after all. In the spirit of Reiki, I will try to walk across this bridge in the mountain pass with grace and my umbrella open wide in case the morning fog becomes a storm.


God, I love this picture, and it makes me so happy to behold such beauty and to know such places exist in this world and are waiting for us to visit them. There is motivation not only to survive, but to thrive and realize the wonder that is the essence of a life lived well. Imagine being on the bridge and crossing over the valley below. What have you left behind and where are you going?

No comments:

Post a Comment