Saturday, January 21, 2012

Money Talks - If The Hepatitis C Market Is The Next Mecca For The Pharmaceutical Fat Cats, Who Will Win The Rat Race?


Is the Hepatitis C market the next Mecca for the pharmaceutical sector? If so, who will win the rat race: the millions of HCV patient with little or no resources or the pharmaceutical fat cats. It seems like the fat cats are salivating right now if we go by the flurry of activity and heightened interest in the HCV market. The Hepatitis C virus (HCV) market seems to have caught the eye of several pharma/biotech companies – as evident by the deals being signed for the development of drugs for the treatment of HCV.


Biotech rivalries are like bare knuckles boxing matches: two lone fighters battle until they are beaten and bloodied for the prize. But the hepatitis C market is turning into a battle royal that’s more wide open and unpredictable. The medical advances in hepatitis C have been dizzying this year, especially in what it means in terms of multi-billion dollar business implications. The safest thing to say is that there’s plenty of good news for patients this year, but that shareholders in the major hepatitis C drug developers had better hold on tight as a new standard of care gets established.


Pharmaceutical Companies Battling For Big HCV Profits
The Allure of the HCV Market
HCV is a hot development area which has come into the limelight with the launch of two new treatments – Vertex Pharmaceuticals’ (NASDAQ:VRTX) Incivek and Merck’s (NYSE:MRK) Victrelis. Both drugs gained approval in the US earlier this year. Incivek, which was launched in May 2011, posted a whopping $419.6 million in sales in the first full quarter of its launch.


With two new recently launched products in the market, why is the HCV market considered so attractive? Firstly, it is estimated that about 170 million people suffer from HCV infection across the world. However, the treated population is much lower. In major markets like the US, EU, Japan, Australia, Turkey, Canada, only 200,000 HCV patients out of a total of more than 12 million are estimated to receive treatment each year. This means a huge number of HCV patients go untreated, leaving the field open for new treatments. 


A 48-week course of both peg-interferon and ribavirin are the standard treatment for genotype 1 HCV infection. However, this treatment regimen is associated with significant side-effects like fatigue, flu-like symptoms, rash, depression and anemia. As we have seen with me, it is tough to say the least. However, let's not forget that my extreme side effects, the endless itching and pain of the rash, was caused by the new Protease Inhibitor and not the other drugs. Hell, in retrospect, the other drugs that I still take every week are a walk in the park in comparison. Yes, it sucks, but it is so very far from hell on earth.


With a large number of HCV patients failing to achieve a sustained viral response (SVR) on the current standard of care, there are several patients who would be open to treatment with new and potentially more effective therapies. These factors have made the HCV market an attractive commercial opportunity for pharma and biotech companies. It also has made it attractive to the millions of patients like myself with the American genotype. Suddenly we have a chance to live that has risen from about 45% to almost 80% treatment success rate.


Cocktail Therapy – The Next Big Thing in HCV
The goal is to change the treatment paradigm for HCV patients by providing them with all-oral treatment regimens. The aim is to develop a treatment which does not require the administration of interferon, thereby doing away with a whole range of side effects. The treatment duration will also be shorter. In retrospect, I wish I had waited until such treatments were available, but regrets are silly. I am powerless over the past and I cannot change it. All I can do is embrace health and happiness in the future.
The Financial Fat Cats Love The HCV Marketplace As It Opens Up


Who Will Win the Rat Race?
With several companies pursuing cocktail therapies for HCV, it will be interesting to see which of these companies will be the first to hit the market with a new treatment option. Hopefully, the rat race will help the millions of infected Americans and not just line of the pockets of the pharmaceutical fat cats.

3 comments:

  1. They tell me at Durhan VA, Durham, N.C. and I am told that the VA does not have the money for these new treatments. I was on the schedule to start treatments in Dec but when I showed up expecting some good news and was told that the VA (at Durham) does not have the money. Is it that expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are quite expensive. But there are a lot clinical trials being set-up around the country because so may new drugs are being introduced. If you have never received treatment before for Hep C (meaning "Treatment Naive), it is easy to be accepted to a trial. Go to this web address and do some research... http://clinicaltrials.gov/

    It probably won't happen right off the bat, but keep at it once a week. If you have to move, contact your representative and explain the situation. In addition, talk to the doctors at the Veteran's Administration. There also is additional insurance possibilities for people with Chronic Conditions like Hep C. Investigate this as well.

    The VA may not have the option now, but they very well could have it in the near future. Do you have any symptoms? Have you had your blood work done to find out your viral load and liver functioning? Ultimately, your will need a liver biopsy which is not nearly as bad as it sounds - a one-day outpatient procedure - and I am sure the VA does it. Hep C incubates for a long time so just because you have it, does not mean you need treatment. You might be able to wait a few years for the new treatments and new treatment opportunities. Remember, my friend, you are your own best resource! All my best... John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reply John. My name is Jerry, I do not know why I put anonymous as my name. Anyhow the Va found my Hep C after 30 some years of going to outside doctors. When I went to the VA for the first time they immediately spotted and blood test confirmed that I had C Genotype 1a. I had a liver biopsy with 4 degree scarring about 7 years ago. I went thru the peg interferon/ribavirn treatment for about 6 months with out an approprite drop in my viral load so I was discontinued. I was also breaking out with welps over the lower part of my body. I was all hype up when they said they had the new treatment to be disillusioned by them not being able to afford the treatment. I go regularly to the VA and also an outside doctor and my blood work is always very good. As you can see I have had it for a long time. Some type of treatment would be a blessing. I am 64 years old. I'm not positive but it seems like my viral load was 3 million last time I had that done. I try to adhere to a good diet and exercise, hoping that it will be for some good. Again thanks for your reply. I kept the home page for clinical trials and will go there to look for help and I'm also interested in the adendum insurance as I have medicare also but without any extra insurance help. Thanks again jtd

    ReplyDelete